In some parts of the world, people adhere to dietary standards that is why they keep maintaining their good figure. Such places, for example, come from the Mediterranean. Some countries that have amazing diets are Crete, some parts of Greece and Southern Italy.
The Mediterranean diet works because of the foods that are encouraged for you to eat. The people from the aforementioned countries, mostly eat whole grains, fish, and healthy fats.
You’re probably thinking, “Why should I choose the Mediterranean Diet over other diet options?” I am glad you ask! Here are just some guidelines on what the Mediterranean diet is all about:
- Lots of plant foods
- Fresh fruit as dessert
- High consumption of beans, nuts, cereals (in the form of wheat, oats, barley, corn or brown rice) and seeds
- Olive oil as the main source of dietary fat
- Cheese and yogurt as the main dairy foods
- Moderate amounts of fish and poultry
- No more than about four eggs each week
- Small amounts of red meat each week (compared to northern Europe)
- Low to moderate amounts of wine
- 25% to 35% of calorie intake consists of fat
- Saturated fat makes up no more than 8% of calorie intake
There is a lot of positives this diet has. According to research, people from Mediterranean countries have fewer cases of Obesity, hypertension, heart problems, and cancer. Furthermore, they are more energetic than people from other parts of the globe.
That being said, how do you get started on the Mediterranean diet? Here are a few things you should know:
- Be Prepared to Eat a lot of Fruits and Vegetables. This diet requires you to eat copious amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables. Be sure to stack up on them.
- Be generous in using Olive Oil. Olive oil is one of the healthiest oils you can use. Use it as a salad dressing to complement your vegetables. Aim to use at least 4-6 servings of olive oil a day (4-6 teaspoons).
- Legumes! It is advised that you eat plenty of legumes when you are on the Mediterranean diet. Legumes are rich in fiber and antioxidants, so that you can rid your body of harmful toxins! Consume at least half a cup of Legumes two times a week.
- Eat Fish. As you may have noticed, Mediterranean foods are full of Fish dishes. It is advisable to eat at least 4 oz. of fish three times a week for optimum results.
- Whole Grains. Eat Whole wheat bread or pasta made from Quinoa as they are healthier options than your refined carbohydrates.
- Don’t be afraid to use herbs and Spices. A lot of Mediterranean cuisine uses a lot of herbs and spices, and for good reasons. First, Herbs and spices can elevate the flavor of the dish. Second, it has powerful anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, perfect for people who want to enjoy their meal and have their bodies detoxified too!
There you have it. Everything you need to know to get started on the Mediterranean diet. This particular diet is quite popular because of its long-term effects on weight and health. So, if you want to know one of the best diets around, the Mediterranean diet is one of them.