If you have a Nintendo 3DS portable gaming console for quite some time now, you’ve probably heard or come across the term “custom firmware”. Custom firmware, as the name implies, is a firmware that does more functionalities than that of the original firmware released by a gaming console’s manufacturer, in this case, the Nintendo 3DS.
The Nintendo 3DS has become a widely popular portable gaming console mainly because of its amazing features. The fact that you can have two screens and use them simultaneously is an amazing thing to do. Furthermore, the portable gaming console also has a Stylus pen that allows you to make use of the dual screens in a more fine-tuned way.
But, did you know that the Nintendo 3DS can do more stuff than the official firmware released by Nintendo would allow? Yes, that is right, you can unlock a vast number of functionalities by using either an R4 3DS card or a custom firmware.
For those of you who do not know, if you want to use an R4 3DS card, you need to have a custom firmware installed in your Nintendo 3DS. This is because the official firmware will render your R4 3DS card inoperable, and that is something you do not want, right?
In this article, we are going to talk about a relatively new custom firmware. The Reinand Custom Firmware for the Nintendo 3DS was just released months ago and it does have quite a number of features. It is not as feature rich as other already established custom firmware, but it still has a list of good features.
Some features of this custom firmware are:
- Ninjhax 2.5 and MSET support!
- Sig checks disabled
- Firm partition updating disabled
- Region free
- Basic ARM9 thread capabilies (RAM dumping)
- Emunand/Sysnand up to the latest firmware! (with ‘Rei’ version string)
- Custom splash screens
- Arm9loaderhax compatible
Some of the firmware’s highlights are the ability to play region-free games, autoboot, and custom splash screens.
If you want to install this custom firmware on your Nintendo 3DS, here are the steps:
- Make sure you make a Nand backup of your current Nintendo 3DS setup.
- After making the backup, download the Reinand custom firmware package on the internet.
- Extract the contents and put them in the root folder of your microSD card.
- Fire up Cubic Ninja and use the Ninjhax exploit.
- After doing the exploit, you will then be presented with an option to run the Reinand Loader, choose that and allow it to install. The Nintendo 3DS might restart a few times but don’t worry, this is normal.
- After a brief installation period, the Nintendo 3DS will start one more time and you will be greeted with a welcome screen. Congratulations! You’ve finally installed the on your Nintendo 3DS!
So there you have it! That is how you install the Reinand Custom Firmware for the Nintendo 3DS in your portable gaming console.
After installing Reinand, you can now use any R4 3DS card of your choosing to further increase the Nintendo 3DS’ functionalities.